en-USpt-PT

History

The therapeutic effects of Luso Thermal Water are recognized since the XVIII century.
Meet the milestones of this historic thermal complex.

  • XVIII Cent. - 1726

    We received the news in “Aquilégio Medicinal” (1st Inventory of Portuguese mineral waters), written by Dr. Francisco da Fonseca Henriques, of the existence of a “(...) hot water spring, which has been named as the Bath ...”

    Even though the therapeutic qualities of the “Banho” were only discovered half a century later, by this time, Dr. Francisco da Fonseca Henriques refers to the water from the hot water spring as having therapeutic and medicinal qualities.

  • 1775

    Date when the “Banho” starts to be used to cure skin ailments. In “Notícia dos Banhos de Luso”, written by Dr. António Augusto da Costa Simões, we gathered that water’s therapeutic virtues were discovered by “(...) a doctor from that area, assistant at Lameira de S. Pedro, José António de Morais, a distinguished physician, who was called to attend the Palace and had cured D. Maria I, who in turn offered him a costume of Christ, with the privilege of the Royal Family and with the honours and ordained as University Teacher".

  • 1779

    “Fr. Christovão dos Reis, a barefoot Carmelite and apothecary at the Braga Convent” writes about the water at the Banho de Luso in his work entitled “Reflexões experimentaes methodico botanicas”.

  • XIX Cent. - 1846

    The surgeon Agostinho Dias da Graça, “(...) a corresponding member of the Lisbon Medical Sciences Society, honorary academic of the Royal Academy of Sciences of Cadiz, from the parish of Paradella...”, incontestable admirer of the therapeutic potentialities of Água dos Banhos de Luso, suggests to the Mealhada Municipal Hall, the construction of a building that would offer better conditions of hygiene and functionality to the Banho de Luso: “(...) for more than twenty years, I have been sending patients with skin problems to the Luso baths; these patients had resisted the most powerful medication recommended by the art; and left the said baths perfectly healed and had no relapse until now".

  • 1850

    Dr. António Augusto da Costa Simões performs for the first time, a chemical test of the water in Banho de Luso.

  • 1852

    During a visit to the Mata do Buçaco, on the 28th April, D. Maria II donates 100$000 reis for the future construction of the Banhos (bathhouses).

    By initiative of Dr. António Augusto da Costa Simões, Dr. Francisco António Diniz and Dr. Alexandre Assis Leão, “Sociedade para o Melhoramento dos Banhos de Luso” is founded on the 25th August. Representing the Company was: “(...) - chairman, Mr. António Luiz de Sousa Henriques Secco - treasurer, Mr. Francisco José Gonçalves de Lemos - secretary, António Augusto da Costa Simões – managers Mr. Francisco Antonio Diniz, Alexandre de Assis Leão, Gonçalo Tello and Basilio Botelho de Lacerda Lobo.”

  • 1853

    The Articles of Association of “Sociedade Para o Melhoramento dos Banhos de Luso” are approved by the General Meeting held on the 27th August and approved by “Royal Charter on the 21st December. The Company’s share capital is of 3.000$000 réis and (…) consists of three hundred shares of 10$000 réis each...”

  • 1854

    The construction of the new hydrotherapeutic facilities begins on the 22nd July.
    This new complex had nine bathrooms each with two tubs, making up a total of eighteen bathtubs. These tubs were lined with tiles and the taps “both for filling and emptying the tub” were in Vista Alegre porcelain.
    The bathtubs were laid out in a circle around the spring, that is, the reservoir or fountainhead and the walls of the reservoir “(...) rest on carboniferous rock from Buçaco ... and all the baths’ springs emerge from this rock along several points of the same reservoir. Its walls are coated with stonework of the same carboniferous formation; and also of the same rock are the pipes which cross the walls’ thickness, through which water must travel from the reservoir to the bath tubs. A tiled dome covers the entire span of the reservoir or fountain head”.

  • 1855

    Elaboration of the first Report & Accounts of Sociedade para o Melhoramento dos Banhos de Luso, referring to 1854, which is only published later, in 1859, in “Notícia dos Banhos de Luso”.

  • 1856

    Inauguration on the 1st June of the new hydrotherapeutic facilities.

  • 1861

    Dr. Francisco António Diniz, one of the founders of “Sociedade para o Melhoramento dos Banhos de Luso”, organizes an artistic performance which generates 30$000 réis, raising the necessary funds to buy a piano to entertain the bath house visitors.

  • 1866

    The company receives another donation, this time from Mr. Manoel Ferreira d´Azevedo Júnior, Baron of Luso, now residing in Portugal and chairman of the board of the Sociedade: “ (...) such a delicate gift... . consists of a crystal bathtub ordered from Paris”.

  • 1884

    The Minister of Public Works, Emídio Navarro, supports and promotes the development of Luso, introducing various measures, amongst which the construction of two schools, a post-office, new roads and village streets.

  • 1893

    This new building, beautifully decorated, had “(...) according to the experts … one of the most beautiful swimming pools in Europe”.

  • XX Cent. - 1903

    Dr. Charles Lepierre undertakes the first bacteriologic tests to the Luso Thermal Water and classifies it as “Very pure water”.

  • 1909

    At the request of the Company’s Board, the painter Luciano Freire, teacher at the Fine Arts Academy, is commissioned to paint four oil paintings, thus immortalising the three founding members of Sociedade Para o Melhoramento dos Banhos de Luso” (Dr. António Augusto Costa Simões, Dr. Alexandre Assis Leão, Dr. António Francisco Diniz) as well as the illustrious and enthusiastic promoter of the village of Luso, Councilman Emídio Navarro. These paintings can still be seen today at the Casino.

  • 1910

    Towards the end of the monarchy, King D. Manuel II comes to the bucolic Mata do Buçaco to spend his summer holidays. Apart from the long walks which he takes, the king travels to the quaint village of Luso for thermal bath treatments.

  • 1916

    The new articles of association of Sociedade da Água de Luso, S.A.R.L., are approved and published in the edition of “Diário do Governo” of the 22nd December, thus replacing “Sociedade Para o Melhoramento dos Banhos de Luso”.

    The company’s first logotype, which will remain in use until 1938, is for the first time seen in the Annual Report & Accounts.

  • 1924

    The rental agreement signed between Sociedade da Água de Luso and Casino Peninsular da Figueira da Foz expires and the Company begins operating it directly.

  • 1925

    Construction of a building to be used for bottling Água de Luso and to lodge the Company’s Administrative Services (head office).

  • 1930

    Improvement and restructuring works begin in some of the Casino’s rooms, with the Café do Casino remaining independent until today.

  • 1931

    Architect Pardal Monteiro designs a new project for the Thermal Baths. A fact that deserves to be highlighted in this ambitious project, is the architect’s original idea to build an Emanatorium over the thermal water spring, which according to records of the period, was the only one that existed in the country.

  • 1938

    The company’s existing logotype is registered for the first time on the 10th July, the image of which was inspired in the sculpture by the famous master, João da Silva. It was used to decorate the Thermal Baths’ Water Fountain, a short time after the remodeling works undertaken in 1934, and it can still be seen today. The Water Fountain is also decorated with stained glass of unique beauty made by the artist Léon.

  • 1970

    Central de Cervejas, S.A. buys a shareholding in the company.

  • 1977

    In order to modernise and adapt the Thermal Baths to the requirements of those undergoing treatments, SAL begins a vast Reorganisation and Modernisation Project of its facilities, equipment and services.

  • XXI Cent. - 2000

    There was a very positive increase in the number of guests in the Thermal Baths, both for Thermal bath treatments and for Short-Stay Programs, currently known by WELLNESS PROGRAMS.

  • 2010

    Association to MALO CLINIC Health & Wellness, a prestigious and internationalized Health and Wellness Group. The conclusion of the revitalization project and the opening of MALO CLINIC TERMAS LUSO – Thermal & Medical Spa, gives a new dynamic to the Thermal Complex combining the Thermalism along with a wide set of Health & Wellness services.

+ -

Accommodation Consult the accommodation in our region.

e-mail

Consult the various accommodation
options in our region. e-mail